We Use Laparoscopic Technology to Diagnose and Treat Causes of Infertility
To help you better understand the cause of your infertility and get the treatment you need without major surgery, our board-certified fertility specialists can perform infertility testing and treatment using laparoscopy. Drs. Nurit Winkler and Marc Kalan combine state-of-the-art technology, extensive training, and compassion to help families in Encino, Thousand Oaks, Bakersfield, and Los Angeles, CA, increase their chances of conceiving. A laparoscopic procedure performed at Los Angeles Reproductive Center is a less invasive means of diagnosis that involves a relatively short recovery.
What is Laparoscopy?
During laparoscopy, one of our doctors will use of a small camera to assist him or her in diagnosing and treating your infertility. This small camera, known as a laparoscope, is inserted through tiny incisions and allows our doctors to see inside of your body and administer the appropriate treatment with minimal tissue disruption.
How We Use This Technology
We may recommend laparoscopic testing or treatment if you:
- Have pain during intercourse
- Have intense cramps during your menstrual period
- May have endometriosis
- Have a blocked or defective fallopian tube
- Have fibroids that are causing infertility
Drs. Winkler and Kalan are constantly advancing the technology they use to provide patients with a more comfortable, more accurate, and more effective experience.
What to Expect during a Laparoscopic Procedure
If you are undergoing a laparoscopic procedure, our team will give you detailed pre-operative instructions prior to your surgery. To ensure your comfort during the procedure, laparoscopy is performed under sedation. In general, you will be asked to refrain from eating or drinking anything for several hours prior to your surgery.
One of our doctors will typically make one to three tiny incisions on your abdomen. We will look for fibroids, endometrial growths, scar tissue, blockages, cysts, or any other abnormalities that might be causing infertility. In some cases, we may remove or correct these abnormalities during the same surgery. Most laparoscopic treatments can be completed in one to two hours.
Once the issues have been addressed, one of our doctors will close the incisions with sutures. You will remain in observation for a few hours, but can typically return home on the same day of your surgery.
Benefits of Using Laparoscopy
Some of the benefits of using laparoscopy instead of traditional surgical methods include:
- Smaller incisions: Before the inception of laparoscopy, the only way to perform these procedures was to create large incisions that gave the doctor sufficient room to perform the procedure and see the inside of the body. However, the incisions needed to insert laparoscopes are generally no longer than a half-inch.
- More discreet scars: Because your incisions are smaller, your scars will be much smaller, too.
- Faster recovery: In general, patients who undergo a laparoscopic procedure will have a faster, more comfortable recovery. This means you can get back to work and other activities sooner than if traditional methods were used.
- Lower risk of post-operative complications: Because laparoscopy is less invasive than other methods of surgery, there is a lower risk of infection and other complications.
By treating your cause of infertility, laparoscopic surgery can help you increase your chances of conceiving or help make treatments like in vitro fertilization more successful.
Choose Our Trusted Team
Drs. Winkler and Kalan are constantly advancing the technology they use to provide patients with a more comfortable, more accurate, and more effective experience. To learn more about why we use laparoscopy at Los Angeles Reproductive Center, request a consultation online or call us at (818) 946-8051.
Los Angeles Reproductive Center is a unique fertility clinic focused on treating patients like family and built upon the principles of communication, compassion, warmth, openness, and service that accompanies an exceptional pregnancy rate. Contact us today to schedule an appointment.