Increase the Likelihood of Fathering a Healthy Baby by Freezing Sperm
Many men dream of fathering children, but unexpected medical conditions, poor sperm quality, or aging can all increase the risk of infertility. Freezing sperm, or cryopreservation, is a cost-effective, highly successful option for men who want to preserve their fertility for the future. At Los Angeles Reproductive Center, our double board-certified fertility specialists, Dr. Marc Kalan and Dr. Nurit Winkler, offer sperm cryopreservation to help men preserve their high-quality sperm for future use. Our fertility clinics serving Los Angeles, CA, Encino, and Bakersfield are comfortable and modern, creating a peaceful atmosphere where men can receive the treatments they need.
Reasons to Consider Freezing Your Sperm
There are many reasons why freezing your sperm may be a good fertility preservation option for your family. These include:
- Cancer or cancer treatment: If you have been diagnosed with a cancer that could compromise your reproductive organs, such as testicular cancer, lymphoma, or leukemia, cryopreservation may be a good option for you. Although cancer treatment can be life-saving, it can negatively affect the quality of your sperm or make you sterile.
- Age: If you are planning to father a child at an older age, freezing your sperm may be a good option, since fathering a child at an older age increases the risk of birth defects in children.
- Vasectomy: If you are planning to undergo a vasectomy but would still like the option of becoming a father via fertility treatments, sperm freezing may be a good choice.
- Gender reassignment: Men who are considering gender reassignment surgery but would still like to father children in the future can bank their sperm.
- Low sperm count: A low sperm count does not mean you can never have a child. Our doctors can take the sperm and use it to fertilize an egg using one of our advanced procedures.
- Before IVF treatment: To ensure the best possible outcome of IVF treatment, our doctors can freeze your high-quality sperm and use it for future cycles.
- Military families: If your spouse will be away for an extended period of time, we can perform fertility treatments with the help of their frozen sperm.
What to Expect during the Process
Our friendly, helpful team will keep you informed about what to expect throughout the entire process.
If you decide that freezing your sperm is right for you, you will start the process by undergoing testing at our fertility clinic. During this testing, we will check the quality of your sperm and rule out any diseases that could affect your semen. To help us obtain the best sample, we ask that you do not ejaculate for a few days prior to the procedure.
Our goal is to make the procedure as comfortable as possible. We encourage patients to ask questions and share their concerns prior to their semen collection. You will be escorted into a comfortable, private collection room and asked to ejaculate into a sterile cup. Our team will collect the sample shortly after to protect the vitality of the sperm.
Benefits of Cryopreservation
This procedure presents virtually no risk to the patient or their future child, and yet it can produce life-changing results. Frozen sperm can be banked for several years without losing its quality. Additionally, there is no increased risk of birth defects or abnormalities in children conceived with frozen sperm compared to children who are conceived naturally. Frozen sperm can be used in various fertility treatments including intrauterine insemination (IUI) and in vitro fertilization (IVF) decades after it is collected. It is also a proven method of fertility preservation for patients who are undergoing treatment for cancer.
Freezing sperm is a cost-effective, highly successful option for men who want to preserve their fertility for the future.
Talk to Us about Freezing Your Sperm
If you have concerns about the quality of your future sperm or have been recently diagnosed with a health condition, the Los Angeles Reproductive Center can help you freeze your healthy sperm. To request a consultation with Dr. Marc Kalan or Dr. Nurit Winkler, call our office at (818) 946-8051 or request an appointment online.
Los Angeles Reproductive Center is a unique fertility clinic focused on treating patients like family and built upon the principles of communication, compassion, warmth, openness, and service that accompanies an exceptional pregnancy rate. Contact us today to schedule an appointment.